Yopp & Yopp's article on promoting phonemic awareness in the classroom was intimidating at first because I am preparing to become a teacher and can't distinguish between phonetics, phonics, and phonemes. Although I am still confused between their definitions, I feel more confident in discussing phonemic awareness. The article argues that phonemic awareness instruction for young children should be playful and engaging, interactive and social, should stimulate curiosity, AND be deliberate and purposeful. I feel like being a new teacher it would be difficult to integrate all of those expectations and still teach what needs to be taught. Although I had some worries after reading the article, there were some great insights to help teachers find interesting ways to teach phonetic awareness. The article was especially helpful by elaborating on what phonemic awareness instruction looks like in the classroom.The stories and rhymes seem like they would be really fun to teach. I plan on using at least one of the activities focused on rhyming. I also didn't realize the importance of unit of sound and use of cues. The article talks about how the combination of phonemic awareness activities and letter-sound instruction has been found to be particularly supportive of children's emerging understanding of the alphabetic principle. Great article! Definitions, explanations, and activities were very helpful!
Clark's article was fantastic in describing the benefits of coaching as a highly effective instructional technique. In many of the education courses, we are being taught that modeling is an effective teaching method. Social cognitive theorists believe students learn from watching others, so Clark's article relates back to modeling as a useful method for teaching. The section that lists factors to consider discuss coaching techniques for teachers and will be a great resource to use as a new teacher. Clark's article as well as Cunningham and Allington's chapter discuss the reading process and give examples of lessons to use with students.The chapter explains that in order to move students along in their decoding and spelling abilities in the upper grades, instruction needs to focus on morphemes and how they help us decode, spell, and gain meaning. I really like the chapter help explains different methods and tells you what is most important for students to know at different grade levels.
I agree that teaching and distinguishing between phonetics, phonics, and phonemes seems impossible. The Yopp and Yopp article really did a great job explaining it more to me, but I seems like a lot though. I think that you made a great point that alot more planning will go into literature and reading that I had thought before. Becoming a great teacher is hard and has challenges, but will all of this help it is for sure possible and well worth it! Great Job Shannon!
ReplyDeleteShannon,
ReplyDeleteI think every new teacher feels overwhelmed by these terms. When you get in the classroom, it will all begin to fall in place. Lesson planning is time consuming for teachers, but so worth it when you provide your students with great activities.